Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Afraid to leave "the zone"


Today was a good day. I awoke at about 6 a.m. to a blue sky. The air was cold, but also mild. August feels like october, but thats okay.
I was very happy to be alive, until I remembered, that I was supposed to fly to New Mexico in exactly 7 days. Not good!
I was afraid to go to New Mexico.
I stayed in bed another hour and the fear was like a storm in my body. Also in my brain. So many thoughts about accidents, misfortunes, bears, the darkness, the loneliness, losing my mind actually.
This has been so every morning for the past 2 or 3 weeks. I am nervous to go. I am afraid of all the things, which could happen, to me, but more so to Lilly. Am I endangering my little daughter by bringing her to New Mexico?
Mainly, I am afraid to leave my comfort zone. So I hear my dead mother’s voice very much alive in my head: „You are crazy! Are you crazy? What do you want in New Mexico? Do you want to be killed by terrorists? What will you do, if a bear attacks you? Are you crazy to leave your other daughter?“ And on and on she rumbles in my head, like she never died, like she was still on the phone with me. Our conversations, two times a week, would always sound like this: „You are crazy! Are you crazy?“  I can feel her voice in my blood stream, its probably turned into some genetic material by now and will shape generations to come.
When I am afraid enough to ponder the idea, that I might be crazy and should stay home, I again hear my moms voice and she says: „Well, if you don’t want to, you don’t have to go!“ She said that all the time, whenever I thought about doing anything different from what we usually did. I still wonder, how I ever left Lützenkirchen and made it to Berlin, frankly. "You are crazy! What do you want in Berlin? You wanna be unemployed and sink into some drug abyss? Are you crazy?"

I am afraid to leave my comfort zone. Which means: I am afraid to lose control. Which means in the end: I am afraid to somehow die. No, worse: I am afraid, that somehow my daughter will die and its my fault.
Leaving my comfort zone, losing control, about what? About every tiny detail of my life. I am an angry person. Mostly, I am angry about being trapped in, what only a few lines ahead I called, my comfort zone, which can turn out to be a pretty narrow and dark box. This boring everyday life, in which nothing much happens. Stuck!
Lets face it, comfort zones are comfortable. Therefore, people like them. Therefore, they are traps. Which does not bother everybody. This is okay. Not everybody has to be adventurous. We need people, who love their normal lifes. The point is, I always wanted to be courageous and adventurous. I always longed to leave my comfort zone, always.
Some people hate to be challenged. They could stay on their couch all day, watch tv, going to bed early, knowing exactly what they will eat the next day for lunch at exactly noon, every day, plates on the table at noon. This was my mother. I can not remember her ever longing for something. I can not remember her ever having lunch later than noon. Of course, she was complaining all the time, which might have been, I am just suggesting here, a sign for her suppressed longing, but outwardly, she hated change and criticezed everybody, who caused change. So, yeah, she blamed life, all the time. The big changer!

So, whenever I tried to leave my comfort zone, which was for the longest time pretty identical with her comfort zone, she would feel threatened. Then I would also feel threatened. Because, in my moms eyes I could read, that everything outside of our mutual comfort zone was horrible, and dangerous. So, usually, I would decide to draw back. It took me a long time, to realize, that this withdrawal had nothing to do with me not wanting to leave „the zone“, but with fear. Fear is the biggest enemy of growth. If you want to grow, you have to face down your fears. Its a plain fact. Don't even waste time on arguing about it. Use that time to face your fears. If you want to grow, that is. You don't have to, if you don't want to. Actually, this would be a pretty intense spiritual practise, to confront a fear every day. Do something, which demands your courage, every day. Wow, that IS scary.

As long as I followed my family’s interpretation of those weird feelings, rushing through my body, creeping through my guts, whenever I thought about daring something new, something wild, I thought by not doing it after all, I was following my own free will. Like my mom said: „If you don’t want to, you don’t have to.“ And nobody was more relieved then her, when I changed my mind and stayed on the couch with her, because I obviously didn't want to...
So it took me a long time to realize: I actually wanted. Every time, I wanted to go out and explore and venture. I so longed to be adventurous and courageous. It was just, that I was afraid.

When I wake up at 6 a.m., sky blue, air mild, me afraid to leave my comfort zone, it takes me a while to realize, that I want to go, and that fear is a beautiful partner, if you want to practise to be courageous, do it every morning, at 6 a.m., like me. Just observe your thoughts and feelings and do not take them seriously. After a while, you calm down, you understand, that flying to New Mexico next Wednesday is a beautiful thing to do!

When my mom was dying, she had left her comfort zone completely behind. I still wonder, how she did that. But it felt like, she embraced the unknown, she was happy to finally jump into the wildest adventure imaginable for humans. During her last minutes on this earth, she looked at me, I embraced her and I said: have a safe trip, mom. She was not afraid at all. She ventured.
The day had been good. Blue skye, the air mild for february. She started her journey at 6 p.m.
I bit my tongue, but I really wanted to say: you are crazy! are you crazy? just to make her smile, one last time. She had humour, you know, especially, when she was dying, she smiled about everything. 


(c) Susanne Becker

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

100 bemerkenswerte Bücher - Die New York Times Liste 2013

Die Zeit der Buchlisten ist wieder angebrochen und ich bin wirklich froh darüber, weil, wenn ich die mittlerweile 45 Bücher gelesen habe, die sich um mein Bett herum und in meinem Flur stapeln, Hallo?, dann weiß ich echt nicht, was ich als nächstes lesen soll. Also ist es gut, sich zu informieren und vorzubereiten. Außerdem sind die Bücher nicht die gleichen Bücher, die ich im letzten Jahr hier  erwähnt hatte. Manche sind die gleichen, aber zehn davon habe ich gelesen, ich habe auch andere gelesen (da fällt mir ein, dass ich in den nächsten Tagen, wenn ich dazu komme, ja mal eine Liste der Bücher erstellen könnte, die ich 2013 gelesen habe, man kann ja mal angeben, das tun andere auch, manche richtig oft, ständig, so dass es unangenehm wird und wenn es bei mir irgendwann so ist, möchte ich nicht, dass Ihr es mir sagt, o.k.?),  und natürlich sind neue hinzugekommen. Ich habe Freunde, die mir Bücher unaufgefordert schicken, schenken oder leihen. Ich habe Freunde, die mir Bücher aufgeford

Und keiner spricht darüber von Patricia Lockwood

"There is still a real life to be lived, there are still real things to be done." No one is ever talking about this von Patricia Lockwood wird unter dem Namen:  Und keiner spricht darüber, übersetzt von Anne-Kristin Mittag , die auch die Übersetzerin von Ocean Vuong ist, am 8. März 2022 bei btb erscheinen. Gestern tauchte es in meiner Liste der Favoriten 2021 auf, aber ich möchte mehr darüber sagen. Denn es ist für mich das beste Buch, das ich im vergangenen Jahr gelesen habe und es ist mir nur durch Zufall in die Finger gefallen, als ich im Ebert und Weber Buchladen  meines Vertrauens nach Büchern suchte, die ich meiner Tochter schenken könnte. Das Cover sprach mich an. Die Buchhändlerin empfahl es. So simpel ist es manchmal. Dann natürlich dieser Satz, gleich auf der ersten Seite:  "Why did the portal feel so private, when you only entered it when you needed to be everywhere?" Dieser Widerspruch, dass die Leute sich nackig machen im Netz, das im Buch immer &q

Writing at the Fundacion Valparaiso in Mojacar, Spain

„…and you too have come into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled with light, and to shine.“ Mary Oliver I am home from my first writing residency with other artists. In Herekeke , three years ago, I was alone with Miss Lilly and my endlessly talkative mind. There were also the mesa, the sunsets, the New Mexico sky, the silence and wonderful Peggy Chan, who came by once a day. She offers this perfect place for artists, and I will be forever grateful to her. The conversations we had, resonate until today within me. It was the most fantastic time, I was given there, and the more my time in Spain approached, I pondered second thoughts: Should I go? Could I have a time like in Herekeke somewhere else, with other people? It seemed unlikely. When I left the airport in Almeria with my rental car, I was stunned to find, that the andalusian landscape is so much like New Mexico. Even better, because, it has an ocean too. I drove to Mojacar and to the FundacionValparaiso